The Death Penalty

Discuss politics and society
BurntBulb
Re: The Death Penalty

Post by BurntBulb » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 am

There is a big legal industry that the SCOTUS has set up that automatically appeals death penalties.
it costs tax payers 10's of millions in every state that has the death penalty and even more at the federal level.
Cause every one goes to the SCOTUS now matter what, or at least their magistrates; and it can take 15 20 years.
Last I heard, most death row inmates die from prison violence or old age, only about 30 to 40% actually get executed.
Depending on which side, studies have been all over the place on the cost of the appeal process compared to sentencing for absolute life.

Me personally - I don't think anyone that kills one or two people should get death, simply because the legal process cannot know the heart and mind of the person charged, and also because of the social bias of the court and jury, by gender and race.
Serial killers and mass murderers are a different thing though, they should be fast tracked through the process.

But when you get the professional institution of law involved to such a degree that it is today - it's a crap shoot.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dan123

Post by dan123 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:14 am

It’s the most illogical thinking. You killed someone, you’re a really bad person, therefore we’re going to get someone else to kill you for us. It’s what god would do.

UKatheist

Post by UKatheist » Mon May 06, 2019 5:56 pm

I dunno though, there are quite a lot of pakistani's (or to use newspeak Asians) currently residing at Her Majesty's pleasure that should be culled, I use the term culled for the obvious reason that they are such a base form of humanity that they are animals and that is what one does with a herd of sick animals.

peekay

Post by peekay » Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Moefugger wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Some people do things that invalidate their right to live.
Nothing else.
You are thinking way to much into it.
Remove the mutherfucker and move on.
You do not agree then you pay for the mutherfuckers cage, food, medical and everything else that fucker will cost for the rest of his life.
Do it or shut the fuck up.
Then lets see how your opinion changes.

Fine, here's an idea. Every few years every state has a yay-or-nay referendum on the death penalty. The 'yayers' names are registered and if someone is falsely convicted and executed then the state comes for one of their nearest'n'dearest. If that idea even gives you momentary pause for thought then perhaps that's why the death penalty isn't all that wise in the first place!

Just_a_Citizen

Post by Just_a_Citizen » Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm on the fence. Used to be all for it, the sooner the better after the gavel falls. DNA clearing many now, has me on that fence.
I Hit More Trees Than a Blind Tarzan

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 pm

The DNA thing is the reason why it should be used.

Just_a_Citizen

Post by Just_a_Citizen » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 am

Moefugger wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 pm
The DNA thing is the reason why it should be used.
There has to be a universally accepted and completely verifiable set of protocols for testing, and only after that would I sign on, I should have added.
I Hit More Trees Than a Blind Tarzan