No fixed topic general chat.
dan123
Re: What the fuck are you cooking now

Post by dan123 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 pm

dan123 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 pm
peekay wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:23 am
How do you do 'homemade' bacon Dan? Is bacon not just a particular cut like an xyz steak or chicken breast that you buy as is?
It’s pork cuts (belly if American, loin for British back), cured in salt, nitrites (pink salt #1, also known as Prague powder), sugar and herbs for 1 week if streaky, two weeks if loin. Quick pointer though, do not do this until you’ve read up on the process, it can be very dangerous, botulism is a very real thing and nitrites are toxic if used in incorrect quantities.

Once cured, I smoke with charcoal and oak to an internal temp of 60 deg C. Wrap immediately in foil and the internal temp will get to 64C which is required to kill all dangerous bacteria.
Last edited by dan123 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan123

Post by dan123 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Hmm can’t edit post, it just duplicates them.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 am

Been wanting to make a true 'Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza Pie'. Origins from southern Italy.
It's nothing like the commercial deep dish, that has a very thick bread like crust and a thin coating of toppings.
Found a neglected and rusting 16"x4" round cast iron pan at a garage sale.
Will take me a while to remove the rust, temper the iron and cure the dish.

http://www.wisegeek.net/what-is-deep-dish-pizza.htm
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 am

Bought a spiral cut ham shoulder a few weeks ago. 9 bucks for a 12 pound brown sugar cured ham!
From a regional company that only does pork, and is much better than Tyson or SmithField's.
Realized my winter supply of freezer stews and soups was getting down there. So this last weekend did my thing.
Took 2 days to get it thawed. Tore off and froze the spiral cut meat for sandwiches and salads.
In my cast steel dutch oven (that thing is older than me), I used what ever I had available from the pantry and 'fridge.
don't ask what, I was half way into my cups by then. I do remember some left over rice with cream of mushrooms soup left over from the day before, a small can of mushroom pieces and stems, can of yellow hominy and peas. Didn't put any spices, soft or hard, in it. (350F for3 hours for the stew, added lots of H2O and another hour for the soup). Got almost 3 gallons.
Some of the best I've made. Even the marrow cooked out of the bone!

UKatheist

Post by UKatheist » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 pm

BurntBulb wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 am
Bought a spiral cut ham shoulder a few weeks ago. 9 bucks for a 12 pound brown sugar cured ham!
From a regional company that only does pork, and is much better than Tyson or SmithField's.
Realized my winter supply of freezer stews and soups was getting down there. So this last weekend did my thing.
Took 2 days to get it thawed. Tore off and froze the spiral cut meat for sandwiches and salads.
In my cast steel dutch oven (that thing is older than me), I used what ever I had available from the pantry and 'fridge.
don't ask what, I was half way into my cups by then. I do remember some left over rice with cream of mushrooms soup left over from the day before, a small can of mushroom pieces and stems, can of yellow hominy and peas. Didn't put any spices, soft or hard, in it. (350F for3 hours for the stew, added lots of H2O and another hour for the soup). Got almost 3 gallons.
do you have a spare room? nom nom nom.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 am

UKatheist wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 pm
BurntBulb wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 am
do you have a spare room? nom nom nom.
Only if you can pay for it...

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Gonna steam it all and add lemon juice, virgin olive oil and salt.

dan123

Post by dan123 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Chinese crispy pork. Well, at least I’m preparing it. It’s been boiled, thoroughly pricked/sliced and marinated with Chinese cooking wine, dry rubbed with sugar, salt, pepper and five spice. The skin need rice wine vinegar every hour for about four hours and then it’ll be rubbed with salt. It’s drying at the minute.
Should be ready to cook tomorrow night.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 am

I'm so damn tired of these winter stews I put up months ago!
Hell, all my jerky is gone too!
Digging around in the freezer, found a small slab of short ribs!
HOT DAMN!
Gonna get my rib fix on the grill! I need some beer too!
Oh Man, I can taste it already!

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Lasagna.
Sauteed onion, garlic and a large ghost pepper in olive oil.
Mix into the tomatoes.
Mozzarella and Ricotta layered with tomatoes and meat and the pasta.
Bake uncovered.
Lasagnaa.jpg
Lasagnaa.jpg (252.38 KiB) Viewed 20 times