Random thoughts v1.0

No fixed topic general chat.
dan123
Re: Random thoughts v1.0

Post by dan123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Ninety quid in 2 pence pieces. Bloody kids.

Twright55

Post by Twright55 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:45 pm

slacker wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 am
Holy shit! IDK what I would do in your situation. If I were her, I’d wanna know, but if I was 73, I might feel differently, IDK.

Are you leaning towards yes or no?

Twright55 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:56 pm
Hey guys (I guess there arn't even any gals left around here.) Haven't posted in a long while, but I have a very interesting situation that has popped up for me. I'll probably get a lot of ribbing over this, but I'll post it anyway. ;)

I had posted a while back about having done the Ancestry.com thing and sending in my DNA. I got back mostly expected results except for more Irish/Scottish dna than I had expected. About 29%.
I then did the tracing back thru documents (marriage, birth, census, etc.) and came up with virtually nothing to explain that. I still didn't think a whole lot of it since these things are probably only marginally accurate to begin with.

Ancestry.com will match you up with other people that have submitted their dna, if you set your privacy setting to allow it. I had a whole slew of people that were listed as '2nd' and '3rd' cousins that I was related to. I didn't recognize the names for the most part. I didn't think much of it as I don't keep track of my family that far out and assumed they were female relatives with their last names changed thru marriage.

WELL, one of them contacted ME asking me if I knew anything about her grandparents, whom she was trying to do some research on. We were both the closest related person on each other's list (other than me and my sister.) Our DNA match was almost on a 1st cousin level, or a very close 2nd cousin level. Then it turned out that all these people I was related to that I didn't know were in HER family tree. Our two 'official' (not dna) family trees had NO intersection.

After doing some research, I figured out that we had to share ONE grandparent OR one of her aunts/uncles had to be one of my grandparents. I could look at who I was related to thru DNA and eliminate my dad's side of the family (I have dna matches to people from both his parents' extended family) and my mom's mother. That leaves my grandfather. So the person who my mom thought was her dad, was not her dad. By process of elimination, I come up with the grandfather of the person who contacted me. He was an Irish immigrant from Kerry (exactly where Ancestry.com says I have a dna connection to), who lived in NYC at the time my mom was born. The census lists his occupation as 'window dresser.' My grandmother (mom's mother) lived in NYC at that time and was a window dresser! But they were both also already married (to others) at that time.

I haven't told my mom yet, and I'm not sure that I should. Se's 73 and perhaps I should let sleeping dogs lay. ALso, I can't PROVE all of this. It's mostly circumstantial and process of elimination. But the genetic connection I have to this family of people is very real and pretty extensive. And pretty close.
Well, my sister insisted that we tell my mom, so I did today.
At first my mom was in total denial that the man she thought was her dad was NOT really here dad. But when I told her the name of her actual fathernthat I had come up with thru the DNA thing, she recognized the name and realized it was true! My grandmother spoke of him by name enough that my mom knew about him. Of course she had no idea that he was her father. He was my grandmother's boss! SO that leaves no doubt.

UKatheist

Post by UKatheist » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

I wonder if Quasimodo made it out alive.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 am

UKatheist wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm
I wonder if Quasimodo made it out alive.
I'm wondering if that's how Maureen O'Hara's hair turned red!

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 pm

British spankers will have to show age verification.

The new mandatory age-checks for UK users will come into effect on July 15,

https://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-to-int ... n-july-15/

dan123

Post by dan123 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 am

A long weekend and the weather is good. Beer is in the fridge, chicken is in brine, beef is minced for burgers and the pork belly is waiting. I did buy sausages though, I’m shit at sausages.
It’s starting to get light, a few miles down the canal with the dogs I think.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 am

dan123 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 am
A long weekend and the weather is good. Beer is in the fridge, chicken is in brine, beef is minced for burgers and the pork belly is waiting. I did buy sausages though, I’m shit at sausages.
Damn brother, that's the life! If I could, I'd be over in a heart beat!
How's the shoulder and arm doing? you able to walk straight? Don't go in circles? ;)
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dan123

Post by dan123 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 am

BurntBulb wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 am
dan123 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 am
Damn brother, that's the life! If I could, I'd be over in a heart beat!
How's the shoulder and arm doing? you able to walk straight? Don't go in circles? ;)
It’d be good to see / feed you BB. The single life has to have some benefits, meat and beer being one.

It’s not too bad, shitty at times though much better than it was. Have you spoken to Eng or Gerry?

bran

Post by bran » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Dan! Trisha dreamt you were in trouble..and theres a fire and explosions in Derby!

I keep telling everyone shes a witch..spelt differently.. :D
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D

dan123

Post by dan123 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm

bran wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm
Dan! Trisha dreamt you were in trouble..and theres a fire and explosions in Derby!

I keep telling everyone shes a witch..spelt differently.. :D
Lol, nowt to do with me mate. How’s you two and the menagerie?