What the fuck are you cooking now

No fixed topic general chat.
dan123
Re: What the fuck are you cooking now

Post by dan123 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:50 am

Toasted cheese sarnie with home made bacon, on homemade bread. I don’t think there’s anything better.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:32 am

dan123 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 pm
BurntBulb wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm
Next up is the winter/Christmas jerky run. already stocking up on the round roasts.
I’ll be doing that shortly. Otherwise I’ll sit here and just eat shite because there’s only me to cook for.

Just a quick note, chicken breast is pretty tasteless to me. Have you tried thighs? Velvet them Chinese style, egg white, a very fine binder (cornstarch or similar) and rice wine for half an hour. Bloomin’ lovely and easy to chop smaller once cooked, for a soup.

Edit. Thighs are much cheaper than breast over here too. Wrong way round if you ask me, but I love it.
Hummmm.....think I'll try that with the breast next time.
I scald brown mine really quick in a very hot skillet so they're mostly raw inside as I cube them.
And you know me, I don't add the heavy or hot spices to the large batch, just to the individual portions as I cook them up to eat. Let's me flavor them as I want at the time.
Yep, thighs and legs are cheaper than breast here too.
I used de-boned thighs for fritters or sandwich patties mostly. If I find some BIG breasts I'll stuff them with some kind of cheese (blue, cheddar, Swiss) and bacon, and/or veggies of some kind then bake them with my standard coating. Works great for an intimate dinner with a lady friend. The looks I get are priceless, a man knows how to do this! :D
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 am

Decided to do something with a 2 Lb. bag of field peas I've had in the cupboard for a while.
I usually buy bacon by the vacuum packed end cuts and trimmings.
I get more value per pound of meat, trim the fat for suet, and the meat makes great BLT's!
Set the peas to boil, while cutting up most of a bag of bacon trimmings.
Wait! I want the fat..it all goes in! Oh well....My arteries will pay for it later. Still, it needs something else.
Scrounging in the fridge, I find a bowl of diced tomatoes from last weeks taco salad. Perfect!
Might need some flavor! How about that half empty jar of Texas BBQ sauce? Works for me.

Jin

Post by Jin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm

I tried to smoke a rolled beef brisket this week. 50/50 mesquite/charcoal. It was too cold to attempt it, but I had to or the joint would have spoiled in the fridge. I coated it with sea salt and crushed, black pepper to get the bark. I also used beef stock powder as a rub. I checked the beef after 3 hours and it hadn't even hit 120f on the meat thermometer. Must have been the cold weather. I added more charcoal and waited longer but still couldn't get it past 120f. Luckily it cold smoked well. I tasted it and it had a very strong mesquite flavour. I wrapped it in foil, added apple juice, hot pepper sauce and some brown sugar and oven baked it for 8 hours to get the beef to 230f. All the fats had rendered and it fell apart easily with a fork.

Very nice.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 am

Jin wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm
I tried to smoke a rolled beef brisket this week. 50/50 mesquite/charcoal. It was too cold to attempt it, but I had to or the joint would have spoiled in the fridge. I coated it with sea salt and crushed, black pepper to get the bark. I also used beef stock powder as a rub. I checked the beef after 3 hours and it hadn't even hit 120f on the meat thermometer. Must have been the cold weather. I added more charcoal and waited longer but still couldn't get it past 120f. Luckily it cold smoked well. I tasted it and it had a very strong mesquite flavour. I wrapped it in foil, added apple juice, hot pepper sauce and some brown sugar and oven baked it for 8 hours to get the beef to 230f. All the fats had rendered and it fell apart easily with a fork.

Very nice.
Worried about it being under cooked, you could put it in the oven at temp.
With pork, slow and steady to 160F, then low temp grilling.
With beef, grill it, then put it in a VERY hot oven till temp, keep it basted.

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Salisbury steak in onions then brown gravy.
Garlic, ghost pepper
Baked tater and corn bread.
Food1.jpg
Food1.jpg (197.21 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Food2.jpg
Food2.jpg (291.24 KiB) Viewed 302 times

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:56 am

OMG! Over Thanksgiving the extended family got together.
ALL of my Nephews and Nieces were asking me how much jerky they are going to get this year.
In my truculence, I told them don't ask me again, or you're not gonna get any! That shut'em up!
Even one of my nieces tried to tell me how to make the jerky that she wanted! Good thing her husband interrupted her!
Let's see...5 pounds of jerky per family for the year, 10 pounds of raw meat to make the 5 pounds of jerky, 8 families, that's..
80 POUNDS OF MEAT!!! Got 50 pounds in the freezer, need to get 30 to 40 more pounds! FM!
What I do for fooking family!
Flavorings and spices...3 batches of flavor, medium, hot and hell fire. I estimate $150 to $200. A liter of jalapeno and sriracha juice can cost up to $40. Though I'll go cheap. Got most of the spices I need, but I'll have to restock afterwards. That's okay. use up the old stuff.
Will have to mostly empty the fridge and take it over to a poor friend and let him eat all he wants.
It will take me 3 to 5 days to thaw and slice the meat and set in the different soaks.
With 80 to 90 pounds of sliced round in a soak, I'll have to use 2 to 3 5 gallon chemically neutral buckets to refrigerate the soaking meat for 24 hours; using the buckets and the several strainers I have to transfer the fluid through the different soaks. Already got them from a job site years ago.
My biggest problem is my little dehydrator isn't capable of handling this volume.
It would take me 4 to 5 weeks, and that's too late.
Been looking at buying a small scale commercial dehydrator, but it's not cost effective; or renting the machine at the local game butcher and freezer locker, but she wants to charge me too much.
May just have to tell them all, ya ain't gonna get the jerky till after the new year. So fook off!

dan123

Post by dan123 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:40 am

BurntBulb wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:56 am
ALL of my Nephews and Nieces were asking me how much jerky they are going to get this year.
In my truculence, I told them don't ask me again, or you're not gonna get any! That shut'em up!
Even one of my nieces tried to tell me how to make the jerky that she wanted! Good thing her husband interrupted her!
Let's see...5 pounds of jerky per family for the year, 10 pounds of raw meat to make the 5 pounds of jerky, 8 families, that's..
80 POUNDS OF MEAT!!! Got 50 pounds in the freezer, need to get 30 to 40 more pounds! FM!
Flavorings and spices...3 batches of flavor, medium, hot and hell fire. I estimate $150 to $200. A liter of jalapeno and sriracha juice can cost up to $40. Though I'll go cheap. Got most of the spices I need, but I'll have to restock afterwards. That's okay. use up the old stuff.
Will have to mostly empty the fridge and take it over to a poor friend and let him eat all he wants.
It will take me 3 to 5 days to thaw and slice the meat and set in the different soaks.
With 80 to 90 pounds of sliced round in a soak, I'll have to use 2 to 3 5 gallon chemically neutral buckets to refrigerate the soaking meat for 24 hours; using the buckets and the several strainers I have to transfer the fluid through the different soaks. Already got them from a job site years ago.
My biggest problem is my little dehydrator isn't capable of handling this volume.
Been looking at buying a small scale commercial dehydrator, but it's not cost effective; or renting the machine at the local game butcher and freezer locker, but she wants to charge me too much.
May just have to tell them all, ya ain't gonna get the jerky till after the new year. So fook off!
Does your oven go low enough mate? Oven and dehydrator combined might do it, but if you’re really fucked, get the smoker going too.

aman

Post by aman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:48 pm

dan123 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:40 am
BurntBulb wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:56 am
Does your oven go low enough mate? Oven and dehydrator combined might do it, but if you’re really fucked, get the smoker going too.
Best you get another 10 or so lbs BB
We’re family too ;)

dan123

Post by dan123 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Had a busy weekend with the wee man so I’m being lazy tonight. Toasted cheese sarnie with dry cured, homemade, streaky bacon. I will also be slurping some Heinz Tommy soup with that.

Yes this is my favourite lazy dinner, not even making the bread this time.
Last edited by dan123 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.