Linux functionality

Is it all going horribly wrong? Ask!
BurntBulb
Re: Linux functionality

Post by BurntBulb » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 am

BurntBulb wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 am
just read an article about a tech writer, as an experiment, decided to leave the big 4 (or is it 5 or 6?).
Here's the article

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... ook-amazon

He get's a little effusive about his travails, and doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.
Except for one thing...the big four (or is it 5 or 6?) use Linux, with proprietary add-ons, for their cloud, customer and vendor interface, internal commo and financial and tax management.
Seems the BIG 2 (MS and Apple) may have abandoned their own OS, to adapt it to the many open source OS's.
several things occurred to me:
The many[ Monopolist patents and copyrights of all OS's should now be set-aside and revoked.
Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon should re-reimburse the development charges to developers, by scale.
From what I understand, this is the basic violation of monopoly.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:49 am

Some of the equipment I work on has custom versions of Linux.
It is set up for a propitiatory function so it works really well.
The same equipment using Windowz gets lock ups and does more odd crap from time to time. Especially when it does not get rebooted for a long time.
Only thing is I have to remember how to get into it to make adjustments or check things as I rarely have to do that with Linux.

Htos1

Post by Htos1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am

All good now. No issues save for the first few log-ins. On the linux box now, in fact.
Who's Laughing Now?