Ancestry.com, etc.

No fixed topic general chat.
Twright55
Ancestry.com, etc.

Post by Twright55 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:03 pm

Has anybody done any of that genetic testing such as ancestry.com, etc.?
I did and found nothing mind blowing, but not EXACTLY what I thought, either.
It's telling my that I have a substantial portion of Irish from Kerry, but doing the lineage thing (where look back at who begat who per the records), I am not finding any Irish immigrants, except for a very few handful going WAY back....not enough to back up the genetic testing results.
Right now it's telling my I'm 70% 'North Western European' (that's a pretty broad category) and 30% Scottish/Irish with an emphasis on Irish from the Kerry region. My lineage (going by records) is almost entirely German and English (most of the English being from around Yorkshire/Lancashire.)

Zero
Re: Ancestry.com, etc.

Post by Zero » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm

From what I have heard, results can depend on the company you use to some degree. Meaning that some are more accurate than others simply because of the size of their databases comparatively. I think your comparison to known lineage gives the answer to the question you're probably asking yourself . "How accurate is it"? I would say it's still somewhat questionable.
And no, I have not ancestry, 123 and me etc. I have no intentions of voluntarily giving my dna to anyone . You give them exclusive right to keep that dna on file and do as they wish with it . That is in no way ok with me, I'm kinda funny like that .
But that's just me, I don't facebook either . Just not one of those people who likes to share too much personal info.

It's been said though that because of these databases , almost anyone leaving dna behind (for whatever reason, crime, spooge on the sheets lol) can be identified without even being in the database themselves (by dna that is) due to association with others in the database. Think Golden Gate rapist/killer. That's pretty heavy when you give it some thought. You can not get to a more granular personally identifiable data type than that.

I'm white with blondish hair and blue eyes.
That pretty much tells me all I need to know . ;)

Twright55

Post by Twright55 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm not a serial killer/rapist, so I'm not too terribly worried ;) And as you noted, the Golden State Killer didn't even do the test but got caught anyway, because they can extrapolate what dna you should have from any close relatives who HAVE done the test, even when you have not.
Anyway, I think it's just a matter of time before they have more dna records on file for everybody than they currently have fingerprints. I thought about it and decided I have nothing to lose/ not important enough for anyone to go looking. If I ever decide to kill somebody covertly (e.g. not in self defense in my home), then I suppose I will regret the decision...or else it better be well enough planned that it is all properly mopped up afterword;)

Anyway, the lineage thing is proving to be far more interesting. Already found a few Mayflower and Jamestown ancestors (although I already knew about some of them, but it's interesting to do the independent verification.)

ALso found out that the Parker lineage in my family came with some significant history in Lancashire. THe lineage goes back to when they actually became 'Parker' (before that, Alconcotes) when being assigned responsibility for a deer park in Bowland Forest some time in the 1300s, and then eventually the the Bowbearer in the 1600s, which is when my 10th great grandfather, Richard Parker, came to America (his brother was Bowbearer.) It's very interesting to be able to find the very beginning of a family name.

Browsholme Hall, built by the Parkers who still live there to this day:

https://browsholme.com/

bran

Post by bran » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Trisha did one of those for me for a Christmas present..it was ok..mostly paddy and Scots..which are paddys that could swim..with a few bits from all over..96% western European..that will do me..
Its still very early days..and depends whether you do the one that does mum AND dads lines..or just one..it will get better..
As for zero..hes just scared to give his because of the hookers buried and hidden in his crappy garden.. :D
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D

Zero

Post by Zero » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Twright55 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 pm
I'm not a serial killer/rapist, so I'm not too terribly worried ;) And as you noted, the Golden State Killer didn't even do the test but got caught anyway, because they can extrapolate what dna you should have from any close relatives who HAVE done the test, even when you have not.
Anyway, I think it's just a matter of time before they have more dna records on file for everybody than they currently have fingerprints. I thought about it and decided I have nothing to lose/ not important enough for anyone to go looking. If I ever decide to kill somebody covertly (e.g. not in self defense in my home), then I suppose I will regret the decision...or else it better be well enough planned that it is all properly mopped up afterword;)

Anyway, the lineage thing is proving to be far more interesting. Already found a few Mayflower and Jamestown ancestors (although I already knew about some of them, but it's interesting to do the independent verification.)

ALso found out that the Parker lineage in my family came with some significant history in Lancashire. THe lineage goes back to when they actually became 'Parker' (before that, Alconcotes) when being assigned responsibility for a deer park in Bowland Forest some time in the 1300s, and then eventually the the Bowbearer in the 1600s, which is when my 10th great grandfather, Richard Parker, came to America (his brother was Bowbearer.) It's very interesting to be able to find the very beginning of a family name.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone who uses them, just the facts that I have heard regarding their accuracy etc. I also think the lineage route is much more interesting to be honest. The dna may say your English, but most likely won't tell you the names , background or details of your actual relatives ,where the lineage should, or atleast give the names to further research. My wife has a friend involved in that and has done extensive research for some of her other friends finding some pretty interesting relationships. Cool shit.
It's nothing to do with you being a criminal lol , I just find it interesting, the fact that that sort of data is stored, available and the implications of what it can be used for. But you DO give them permission to do with as they see fit, and for me personally, (shut it bran , unless you want to spend eternity under my porch)that's a deal breaker. I'm not trying to sway anyone else one way or the other or imply it's a bad thing per se.

My most current focus has been in the field of security , so I'm very skepticle of pii security with regard to things like social media etc, and now the 123 and me craze . People are all too willing to volunteer personal info with little regard to how it's handled and protected . The conspiracy theorist in me acknowledges the incredible value of that sort of information in the hands of others for all sorts of reasons. And the government, whom I trust the least , has already shown their easy access to it.
call me crazy , everyone else already does ;)
meow for av.gif
meow for av.gif (953.16 KiB) Viewed 104 times

bran

Post by bran » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Zero wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm
Twright55 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone who uses them, just the facts that I have heard regarding their accuracy etc. I also think the lineage route is much more interesting to be honest. The dna may say your English, but most likely won't tell you the names , background or details of your actual relatives ,where the lineage should, or atleast give the names to further research. My wife has a friend involved in that and has done extensive research for some of her other friends finding some pretty interesting relationships. Cool shit.
It's nothing to do with you being a criminal lol , I just find it interesting, the fact that that sort of data is stored, available and the implications of what it can be used for. But you DO give them permission to do with as they see fit, and for me personally, (shut it bran , unless you want to spend eternity under my porch)that's a deal breaker. I'm not trying to sway anyone else one way or the other or imply it's a bad thing per se.

My most current focus has been in the field of security , so I'm very skepticle of pii security with regard to things like social media etc, and now the 123 and me craze . People are all too willing to volunteer personal info with little regard to how it's handled and protected . The conspiracy theorist in me acknowledges the incredible value of that sort of information in the hands of others for all sorts of reasons. And the government, whom I trust the least , has already shown their easy access to it.
call me crazy , everyone else already does ;)
meow for av.gif
Crazy!! :shock: I dont think they can tell very much at all at the moment..give it ten yrs though..Lineage would always be good for a fair way back..but if you want to know further back?..its very generalised.
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D

Moefugger

Post by Moefugger » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pm

People bitch about the government getting your info and you give it all to those companies that will do who knows what with it.

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:23 am

My dad after he retired got into genealogy big time, and researched both his and mom's lineage. And this before the internet and DNA mapping. It's amazing how much resources there are, from the Mormon Church (reputedly having the world largest genealogy collection and of most everybody in the US), to the available public records, to societies of families, clans, tribes, regional and national peoples.
He had filled a large 4 drawer filling cabinet, and probably could have filled another one with all the documents, letter, pictures, charts laying around in labeled piles in his den. My oldest brother is now in the process of digitizing it all, and passing it to family members that want it. Organizing it has been his biggest problem (mom was gonna throw it all away after he died so it was all jumbled together in several large boxes. We rescued most of it just in time.)
So I don't really need to do DNA testing, since I already know my distant ancestors by name, marriage, location and position in society. Some of it we can take pride in, while some of it gotta hang our heads in shame. But that's the way with all extended historical families. Gotta take the good and the bad. With that said.....

We've all seen the commercials, how upbeat they are about the results, not attached to reality at all!
I'm waiting for one where the mom had an affair with a serial killer behind her husband's back, the child finds out about it through the DNA testing, then kills them both and goes on a killing spree.
That would be a reality check now wouldn't it! :P
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Htos1

Post by Htos1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am

Might be kinda stupid to JUST give your DNA sequence to the deep state.
They can take your sequence in a digital storage format to a lab and produce a synthetic sample of blood, saliva, or semen. Take a female operative and inject her with it, or splatter a manufactured crime scene with it. She reports you to law enforcement. AND by pre-planning benign occurrences of her in a public surveillance video where you have spent your day, VOILA! You're in prison, or worse.
I can't trust this service.
Who's Laughing Now?

tRauma26100

Post by tRauma26100 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Got one of those test kits just a few days ago. Not from ancestry, but from a similar site. Wouldn't have bothered, but it was recommended by a scientist friend of mine, who knows the lab that does the testing.
Done some studying using the traditional methods, so i have a pretty good understanding where my family comes from. So i just kinda wanna see what the DNA thingy has to say.