The "Cogent" project.

No fixed topic general chat.
Hayden
The "Cogent" project.

Post by Hayden » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi all,

It's great to see some familiar faces around the place, thanks for stopping by! I've noticed a few suggestions and the like and although there's already a thread about what TW is I thought a little more info wouldn't hurt.

I've noticed a couple of comments regarding feature requests and the layout of the forum. The entire Cogent project is bankrolled out of my pocket. There are no ads, no traffic capable of generating healthy income, and no plans to grow this into another monster project. This means I pay what I have to (The studio and gear, licenses, hosting etc etc) and dropping 100's of dollars here and there probably isn't wise. We're fortunate to already have folks donating which means we can do more as we go but it's predominately aimed at the TW shows at this point. Who knows where we'll go with the forums side though? There are a LOT of options available to us.

I don't want to the community here to be hyper managed. There obviously isn't a mod team at this point and I'm hoping to avoid any such thing until there's no option. Even then I think an open system where the mods are members and not anonymous would work best here.

I mentioned the Cogent project earlier and I know some of you don't check out the shows and the like and you're here just to chat with folks you know, which is great, but there's more going on if you're interested. With Trigger Warning we have the Thursday night show and a Podcast which is recorded every Tuesday. We're getting more viewers and listeners week on week so I'm overjoyed with that. We also have Cogent Radio which is an online radio station. Currently we have 6 shows and about 2.5 hours worth of unsigned music. At some point we'll pick up licenses allowing us to play other music too. The goal, as ever, is just to provide a solid platform without political / editorial interference where possible.

The radio station also has an Android app which allows you to listen live and to podcasts of various shows. The app is free, doesn't want any of your info and asks no special permissions. It doesn't even have ads on and if it ever does they'll be as inconspicuous as possible.

There are other parts of the project in the planning phases too. CogentNation is a low key alternative to the likes of Wordpress.com where people can host their own websites with a central hub which tries to ensure everyone gets some exposure. This is a big old job for me to handle on my own though so it won't be landing any time soon.

We could also look at closed social media aspects for TW and other sites. Like Facebook I suppose but without the algorithms and forcing you to give away personal info nonsense. I did trial a version of this late last year and it worked really well. Perhaps it's something we could look at here in the future.

Right now we've got a tight little community coming together in various parts of the project and if that's all it every amounts to I'll still consider it a win. Let's see where we end up with this because, as ever, I have no mission statement or end game.

TL/DR version: I'm trying to do stuff. Come along for the ride if you like.

Cheers
H
It's not that I don't care it's just that...what was I talking about again?

bran
Re: The "Cogent" project.

Post by bran » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Hayden wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:45 pm
Hi all,

It's great to see some familiar faces around the place, thanks for stopping by! I've noticed a few suggestions and the like and although there's already a thread about what TW is I thought a little more info wouldn't hurt.

I've noticed a couple of comments regarding feature requests and the layout of the forum. The entire Cogent project is bankrolled out of my pocket. There are no ads, no traffic capable of generating healthy income, and no plans to grow this into another monster project. This means I pay what I have to (The studio and gear, licenses, hosting etc etc) and dropping 100's of dollars here and there probably isn't wise. We're fortunate to already have folks donating which means we can do more as we go but it's predominately aimed at the TW shows at this point. Who knows where we'll go with the forums side though? There are a LOT of options available to us.

I don't want to the community here to be hyper managed. There obviously isn't a mod team at this point and I'm hoping to avoid any such thing until there's no option. Even then I think an open system where the mods are members and not anonymous would work best here.

I mentioned the Cogent project earlier and I know some of you don't check out the shows and the like and you're here just to chat with folks you know, which is great, but there's more going on if you're interested. With Trigger Warning we have the Thursday night show and a Podcast which is recorded every Tuesday. We're getting more viewers and listeners week on week so I'm overjoyed with that. We also have Cogent Radio which is an online radio station. Currently we have 6 shows and about 2.5 hours worth of unsigned music. At some point we'll pick up licenses allowing us to play other music too. The goal, as ever, is just to provide a solid platform without political / editorial interference where possible.

The radio station also has an Android app which allows you to listen live and to podcasts of various shows. The app is free, doesn't want any of your info and asks no special permissions. It doesn't even have ads on and if it ever does they'll be as inconspicuous as possible.

There are other parts of the project in the planning phases too. CogentNation is a low key alternative to the likes of Wordpress.com where people can host their own websites with a central hub which tries to ensure everyone gets some exposure. This is a big old job for me to handle on my own though so it won't be landing any time soon.

We could also look at closed social media aspects for TW and other sites. Like Facebook I suppose but without the algorithms and forcing you to give away personal info nonsense. I did trial a version of this late last year and it worked really well. Perhaps it's something we could look at here in the future.

Right now we've got a tight little community coming together in various parts of the project and if that's all it every amounts to I'll still consider it a win. Let's see where we end up with this because, as ever, I have no mission statement or end game.

TL/DR version: I'm trying to do stuff. Come along for the ride if you like.

Cheers
H
I know it would be difficult..but maybe put the rough..times of all these shows and where to find them on the main page..i am old and wankminded..i can never figure out when things are happening..thankyou oh mighty H. :D
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D

peekay

Post by peekay » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm

bran wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 pm
..thankyou oh mighty H. :D
For fucks sake Bran, I hope Hayden at least has the courtesy to give you a pat on the head when he's about to come.......

bran

Post by bran » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:08 pm

peekay wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm
bran wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 pm
..thankyou oh mighty H. :D
For fucks sake Bran, I hope Hayden at least has the courtesy to give you a pat on the head when he's about to come.......
Nah..he usually just shouts "Bananarama!"..selfish cunt.. :D
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D

BurntBulb

Post by BurntBulb » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 pm

H...I think bran has a good idea there. Would be nice to have a date/time schedule for the various things, and the front page would be the place for it! I get busy with stuff and I'd put 'em on, but then it's outta-sight outta-mind kinda thing, so I don't remember.

One question...Were you stoned when you wrote that OP?
Felt like I was getting a contact high while reading it, expecting the inevitable....
"Dude, we're chillin' here, now!"
:mrgreen:
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.