Chappaquiddick

Aquina1300
Chappaquiddick

Post by Aquina1300 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. So far the reviews have been along partisan lines so no worthwhile opinions there. Some people want to defend Teddy and Kennedy's just because it's the Kennedy clan. In that way, the Kennedy's really are American royalty because their loyalists will defend them just because they think the Kennedy blood runs blue. Despite that loyalty though, it's a fact that Ted Kennedy wasn't able to successfully run for the Presidency because Chappaquiddick doomed his chances.

“It was never a hatchet job or a glorification. We didn’t want to be salacious or tabloidish,” notes Clarke. “John and I wrestled a lot with that. There were a couple scenes where we weren’t sure how calculated Ted should be. But I always respected what John said, which was to play it for real in the moment and let it all add up.”

And to be clear, the actor has great affection for the Kennedy clan. “I love the Kennedys, I love the rhetoric,” he says. “But how do you get past what he did? And how do you judge? It’s ‘Crime and Punishment,’ it’s Dostoyevsky.”

The Kennedy family has been covered extensively in media before, but rather than worry about oversaturation, Clarke says, “I don’t think they’ve been explored enough! People have very basic ideas of who these people are, but they’ve barely scratched the surface.” He points to the much-maligned patriarch Joseph Kennedy. “He’s done a lot, good and bad. Think of his impact. Just one example: after the great crash, he was one of the people chosen to write the rules for the SEC that gave the legal framework Wall Street had to operate in. it brought back confidence to Wall Street. He’s really, really fascinating.”

The esteem with which many hold the Kennedys might have turned off a lot of actors from the project, which Clarke says worked to his advantage. “I desperately wanted it. The script was going around but they wanted one of the big $15 million guys to do it,” he recalls. “Some were looking at it, but it was problematic. It’s one of those dark things in the Democratic Party and people were saying, ‘I don’t think the Democrats need this now.’ Whereas I think they do.”
Source:
https://variety.com/2018/film/features/ ... 202733992/
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
― George Washington

BurntBulb
Re: Chappaquiddick

Post by BurntBulb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Haven't seen it yet either, but I will watch it.
I hope this film will put a big hole in that 'Camelot' mythology of the Kennedy dynasty.
Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

philomath

Post by philomath » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 am

I want to see this one as well.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

~And The Beat Goes On~

bran

Post by bran » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Aquina1300 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm
I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. So far the reviews have been along partisan lines so no worthwhile opinions there. Some people want to defend Teddy and Kennedy's just because it's the Kennedy clan. In that way, the Kennedy's really are American royalty because their loyalists will defend them just because they think the Kennedy blood runs blue. Despite that loyalty though, it's a fact that Ted Kennedy wasn't able to successfully run for the Presidency because Chappaquiddick doomed his chances.

“It was never a hatchet job or a glorification. We didn’t want to be salacious or tabloidish,” notes Clarke. “John and I wrestled a lot with that. There were a couple scenes where we weren’t sure how calculated Ted should be. But I always respected what John said, which was to play it for real in the moment and let it all add up.”

And to be clear, the actor has great affection for the Kennedy clan. “I love the Kennedys, I love the rhetoric,” he says. “But how do you get past what he did? And how do you judge? It’s ‘Crime and Punishment,’ it’s Dostoyevsky.”

The Kennedy family has been covered extensively in media before, but rather than worry about oversaturation, Clarke says, “I don’t think they’ve been explored enough! People have very basic ideas of who these people are, but they’ve barely scratched the surface.” He points to the much-maligned patriarch Joseph Kennedy. “He’s done a lot, good and bad. Think of his impact. Just one example: after the great crash, he was one of the people chosen to write the rules for the SEC that gave the legal framework Wall Street had to operate in. it brought back confidence to Wall Street. He’s really, really fascinating.”

The esteem with which many hold the Kennedys might have turned off a lot of actors from the project, which Clarke says worked to his advantage. “I desperately wanted it. The script was going around but they wanted one of the big $15 million guys to do it,” he recalls. “Some were looking at it, but it was problematic. It’s one of those dark things in the Democratic Party and people were saying, ‘I don’t think the Democrats need this now.’ Whereas I think they do.”
Source:
https://variety.com/2018/film/features/ ... 202733992/
Is it a cowboy version of Harry potters fave sport?.."chaps and quidditch"...should get Gerry to watch! :D :wank:
I blame Hayden for everything..and Cherry..but Graeme is just a poor innocent pawn in their evil plans. :o :shock: :x :D